Saturday, August 13, 2011

Story-A-Day: Leisure Time





LEISURE TIME

It's not an easy life. I mean, we're born with eight legs so we have four times the appendages to work with. Sometimes it seems like work is all I do.

I weave and I spin. I build intricate webs all day every day, only to have nature destroy them. A full days work wiped out by the wind, or rain, or a falling twig, or some bumbling human wandering blindly through it. It's frustrating.

Harvesting flies is no fun either. First it's the waiting, but even once they are ensnared in a web, you still have to knock them out, wrap them up, an drag them home. It might not sound like much, but it's a lot of work.

It's not all bad though. Dangling from a web, or prancing across a high wire through the trees can be pretty exhilarating. And every now and then, I do get some leisure time. In fact, I'm just on my way to meet Brenda on the south wall. I think I might even get lucky. Just the thought of her slender hairy legs is enough to get me going.

I feel like I would whistle if I could. Things are that good right now.

With all that optimism, imagine my surprise as I started up the wall only to find Brenda pinned down beneath that hairy ogre Ted. At first, I tried to convince myself that she was being attacked, but I know the difference between despair an delight.

And I do have eight eyes, so it's not like I was seeing things. It just goes to show that the girls always do end up with the jerks.

I might go wreck a few of his webs to thank him for ruining my day. I'll just have to find a few first. The lazy bastard usually just claims the webs of others; and their women.

Like I said, the life of a spider - it's not an easy one.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment