Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Story-A-Day #293: Patio Lanterns





PATIO LANTERNS

To some they might err a little on the side of kitchy, or camp, but to me, I've always found them to be a welcome addition, those patio lanterns that light up the night.

The soft glows in varying shades and hues help dispel the darkness and create a welcoming glow and ambiance in the night.

How could one deny the appeal?

My boyfriend was reluctant to add them to our yard. He said they were a relic of the 80s best left behind with the song that shares their name, but he eventually relented and allowed me to string them up.

Now you would be hard pressed to find him too far from their soft glow - usually the red or green ones. The irony of his colour preference doesn't escape me either, as he claims to hate Christmas too.

I'll admit that a nice clump of solar lights, or a row of flickering citronella tiki torches glimmering in the dark can be just as appealing, but the candles are too high maintenance, and the solar lights often too dim.

No, the revered patio lantern is the perfect accoutrement, the ideal compliment to an outdoor setup frequented at night.

Call me tacky if you want, but I like my lights and they are here to stay.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone. Please excuse auto corrected errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment