Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Story-A-Day #313: Peeping Tom






PEEPING TOM

He is a stalker, linked into the ancestral patterns of prey and pounce. He is a silent observer, stealthy and subtle.

Cats tend to be that way, but this one is different. Sometimes, and this might sound a little farfetched, but sometimes I think this one may be touched with magic. There are times when he just suddenly appears.

At least nine times a day I will suddenly become aware of his watchful gaze, an intensely focussed, unblinking stare. It often takes me a few moments to find him, yet inevitably he will be there, greeting me with a bored yawn - almost as if my role in his game is failing to live up to his expectations.

"You simple fool," his gaze implies.

There is something mysterious about this cat. He is a house cat, always has been, but there have been times where I have seen him skulking through the yard, only to appear behind me when I rush to the door to bring him in.

He always rubs against my calf with a low rumbling purr in those moments.

There have been other times where I have woken from a dead sleep to the sound of tormented destruction; the sound of murder in the night. Inevitably, he spends the following day curled in a quiet ball sleeping the day away. Sometimes he is covers in scratches on those days, but they always clear up by the next day.

There is something weird about this cat for sure, but I have a feeling I am lucky to have him. He is weird, but almost like a silent guardian, protecting me from the things that go bump in the night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone. Please excuse auto corrected errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment