Thursday, September 15, 2011

Story-A-Day #308: Over The Hedge





OVER THE HEDGE

It is not a tall one, bit neither is she. Of course she is taller than the hedge, but crouched down in a tiny ball, she is just about hidden from my sight.

Still, I know she is there, by instinct mostly. She has that effect on me, a strange ability to make me hyper aware of her presence. The moment she enters a room, I know she is there. Just as I know she is lying in wait for me behind that hedge.

She likes suing these games, and that is a big part of the reason I enjoy her company so much. Hide and go seek, tag, lava - she is constantly reverting to the games of youth and I find it invigorating.

I pause for a moment, pretending to tie my shoe. It's a lousy ruse because she knows I don't have any laces on any of my three pairs of shoes.

Once I am ready, I continue walking along, whistling a quiet tune. As I near the spot in the hedge where I know she is hiding, I make my move.

I lunge over the hedge, through it mostly, and crash onto the lawn next to her. She rolls away, laughing crazily, and I chase her across the yard and back into the street where I finally catch her.

The game is over, the fun is just beginning. That's what makes days like this so enjoyable.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone. Please excuse auto corrected errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment