Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Story-A-Day #383: Cheese Ball


CHEESE BALL

People call me a lot of things.  Some of the are true, some of them are complete and utter...well you can imagine where I might have been headed there.

I guess it is human nature.  There are people who find it necessary to call others names as a means of brightening their own existence.  Their are people who would go so far as to accuse others of perpetrating certain acts as a means of justifying their own actions, or lack thereof.  There are those who would even go so far as to accuse people of committing acts that are so beyond their character because the words they spill are so fundamentally untrue.  Those are the lowest kind of people, those personalities who are so insecure and low upon themselves that they would aim to drag the innocent down for a moment in the spotlight.  They are the lowest kind of people, and they do not warrant any further rumination.

Not more than three days ago, I had someone very close to me call me a cheese ball.  They did so in a loving manner and as a response, I did the only thing that seemed fitting under the circumstances.  I stormed out of the living room and into the kitchen.

At first, she thought I was sincere in my outrage.  It was a sufficient show I suppose.  I assured her with a smile and told her to keep watching the show.  I assured her that I would be back within the next 15 minutes with a surprise.

I spent the time wisely, shredding some aged cheddar, and mixing in the food processor with some cream cheese.  I added in a dab of hot mustard, a few healthy squirts of Worchestershire sauce, and a few other secret ingredients.  I threw it all in the fridge for a moment, then set about chopping some pecans and parsley.  When the chopping was complete, I mixed the nuts and greens and spread them out on the chopping board.

I took the cheese mixture out of the fridge, rolled it in a ball, and rolled it through the mixture.  It clung to the exterior nicely, a succulent skin of parsley and nuts.  I placed it in the middle of a plate and spread some crackers around it.  With a final flourish, I jabbed a small knife into the ball.

"What have you been up to in there?" she asked.

"Living up to my potential," I replied, and placed the snack on the coffee table before her.  "Enjoy."

No comments:

Post a Comment