Thursday, November 24, 2011

Story-A-Day #378: Birthday


BIRTHDAY

It was a day like every other, but it just so happened to be my birthday.  I am of an age, where celebrating my accelerated distancing from youth no longer holds much merit, but when I walked into the house after a long day at work, I can not deny that it didn't make me happy.

I could see the balloons and streamers of course.  They were impossible to miss, but that didn't change the fact that something special had been done.

"Hello?" I called out from the bottom of the stairs as I slowly unlaced my shoes and placed them on the rack.  "I'm home."

There was no reply.  I shrugged out of my coat and hung it in the closet, then climbed up the stairs to the main floor.

"Surprise!" A chorus of voices greeted me.  And it was.

I had not expected this, not in the least, and I felt a warm wash of emotion pass over me as I surveyed the room.  This was magnificent.  I had stepped into a room full of family and my closest friends.  I scanned their smiling faces, and felt myself smiling in return.

The impromptu standoff came to a quick close and I accepted a cold drink into my hand.  I'd started off the day with no intention of making a celebration out of this day, but it was hard to not get caught up in the moment.

Being in a room full of people who are happy to be there on your account has that effect.  It is almost impossible to deny.  I slowly made the rounds, talking to the people I had not had time to see or visit with in weeks, and sometimes months.  You reach a certain age and it is hard to find the time outside of your existing obligations to enjoy the finer things in life, and the finer people who are a part of it.

But sometimes, it is the little things that remind u of what is important.  Sometimes it takes a moment in time to remind us about the things that truly matter in life.  A job and money are important, but they should only be important as a means of supporting what truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment