Monday, November 14, 2011

Story-A-Day #368: Bed Rest


BED REST

I'm not sure how it all started.  To be honest with you, I am not even sure how I wound up here in the first place.

 The last thing I remember was sitting on my couch watching television.  It wasn't anything special, just a show about people hunting for homes in exotic international locations.

The young couple was about to make their decision when I nodded off.  When I woke up again, I was here, a needle crammed into the back of my hand and a flimsy gown ridding up around my waist.

I reposition myself and scan the room.  It is small, and bland - what you might call hospital standard.

I pushed the button next to my bed and waited for the nurse to arrive.  When she did, I didn't delay.

"Why am I here?" I asked her.  "How did I get here?"

She picked up the chart and scanned it quickly, leafing through the pages.

"Your girlfriend found you.  You were non-responsive so she brought you in.  We're just waiting on results from some tests that were run last night."

"Any idea what happened?"

"Nothing yet, but I suggest you get some rest.  We'll probably be releasing you later today."

It's an uncomfortable feeling not knowing what is wrong with you.  Being in the hospital after an unknown incident makes it even more disquieting.  I knew there was nothing to do for now so I decided to take the nurses advice.  I let my eyes slowly flutter closed and waited for sleep to draw me into too its warm embrace.

The answers would come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment