Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Story-A-Day #369: The Shallows


THE SHALLOWS

I dip my head beneath the surface.  The hollow sound of my breathing fills my head, rythmic inhalations and exhalations through the snorkey in my mouth.  The mask is sucked forcefully to my face and I peer out through the plexiglass surface and out through the shallows.

I can see the rusty pole that supports the dock, and in the distance, a row of rocks stretching off through the shallows.  I kick my feet gently and the big plastic flippers slow push me forward and out through the shallows.

It is one of my favourite ways to pass a languid summer day, cruising slowly across the surface of the lake, basking in the sun's radiant heat.  This is the way life should be lived; exploring new horizons and searching out new discoveries.

As the water grows deeper, the sandy bottom of the lake slowly slips away.  I pass over sunken logs and small piles of rocks and boulders.  I angle my way out across the lake towards the small islands scattered across the mouth of the bay.  There will be sites to see there.  There will be adventures to have.

The waters surrounding the island tend to be full of fish.  Bass, perch, sunfish.  They dart through the nooks and crannies, tucked away in the boulders and small schools of minnows dart through the water, shimmering silver clouds that move in uncanny unison.

I kick onward and slowly circle the island, reaching out towards the fish as they dart by.  I kick onwards and baqsk in the warmth of a perfect summer day.

I role onto my back and close my eyes against the glare of the sun, my legs slowly sinking into the waters below me.


When I open them again, I am back in my bed, a bitter wind guting past my window.  I should have known that it was too good to be true.  My lazy days of summer were still months away.

No comments:

Post a Comment