Sunday, November 13, 2011

Story-A-Day #367: Tentacles


TENTACLES

It was a long day at the office.  I stumbled out through the doors, after a day of mind-numbing mediocrity, and into the face numbing chill of November.  It was cold, and oh so not cool.  It was a brisk walk, hands curled deep in pockets like a pair of sleepign cats trying to keep warm.  I could feel the hot burn of winter on my cheeks, forehead, and ears; I could feel the wind's cold carress slipping slowly up the rear of my jacket.

I trudhe onward and within 25 minutes, am greeted by the welcome site of my home and the door that will admit me into the warmth of my haven.  It was a very happy moment.

I slid out of my coat and made my way straight to the kitchen where I turned on the oven and got ready to prepare dinner.  I was chopping some celery and onions and had a pot full of water slowly boiling to life on the stovetop when I first felt the presence.  It was like a cold whisper on the back of my neck.

I paused for a moment and listened, but all I could hear was the slow roil of the water on the stove next to me.

I resumed the chopping for a moment, but I could not shake the feeling.  The cold tickle rose up my neck and through my hair.  Finally, I turned to scan the kitchen behind me and noticed the icy tentacles slowly reaching towards me from the back door.

Confused, and scared, I swiped at it with the knife I had been using to chop the vegetabbles.  The end of the tentacles fell off and shattered across the floor with a crystalline twinkling.  The tentacles wilted back, seeming to shrink back towards the cold outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment