Saturday, July 30, 2011

Story-A-Day #261: Black Mass





BLACK MASS

It had been a normal day for the most part, clouds rolled gently across the sky and cicadas whirred in surround sound effect.

They had been calling for storms for most of the week, but so far, we had only had a few short lived smatterings of rain. When it started getting dark just after dinner time, I knew all that was about to change.

I peered out the window and watched a a low lying mass of wispy black clouds cross crossed the denser ones above, froze for a moment, and then was slowly sucked upwards. An up draft like that was never a good sign.

When the dark mass formed right outside, I knew it would be a big one. A halo of light surrounded it. Were I to stand on my head, I could almost mistake those cloud for a roiling, angry ocean.

When the rain finally started, it fell in crystalline golf ball drops that glowed brightly, refracting the distant sun's light.

The hail came next, small pellets of ice the cracked and ricochetted off the windows and sill.

And then it appeared to be done, almost as suddenly as it had started. It was curious, and the people gathered around me in the office chattered excitedly.

The roiling mass remained, almost stationary. It was like an alien invasion scene in a movie, and I could almost picture the great ship hidden above.

Off to the left I noticed an extra swirling and moments later, the funnel descended.

All around me, people dove under the desks. I stood transfixed in the window, always a fan of a good storm. This one would be impressive for sure.

As the scene slowly filled with flying debris, a nervous, excited smile spread across my face.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment