Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Story-A-Day #257: Clearing The Cobwebs






CLEARING THE COBWEBS

I walked up the driveway, my backpack perched crookedly across my spine emitting a boozy, salt-water gust with each tentative step.

Two weeks at an all inclusive was too much; doubly so in the tropics where the hot sun and warm lapping ocean only add to the dehydrating curse of an open bar.

Still, it had been a great trip and I had returned home with some kitchy souvenirs and enough memories to last me for at least a year. Not to mention a mound of tropic scented laundry. It had been a wonderful trip for sure, but I was anxious to clear the cobwebs and settle back into my routine.

I staggered up the front stairs, the burden of my baggage tugging me gently backward with each step.

I unlocked the door and stepped inside, brushing away at a cobweb as it slid silk-like across my gave and spitting at it's tickling caress on my lips.

As my eyes slowly accustomed to the gloomy interior of my house, I realized that it wasn't a single strand. The whole entrance was fillled with webs, delicate silky strands, billowing nets, and dense funnels and cones seemed to cover every surface.

It appeared that the post-trip cobwebs in my head were not the only ones I would have to clear.

I lowered my bag to the floor and reached for the broom in the corner by the door. My siesta would have to wait.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment