Monday, July 11, 2011

Story-A-Day #242: From Out Of The Mire





FROM OUT OF THE MIRE

People go missing all the time.

It's an unfortunate reality in most places, but it's just part of life. Sometimes they wander off for a bit, sometimes they disappear without a trace, and other times, the good times, they are found safe and sound.

This city has those same situations, but it also has a secret. There is a presence in this city, a horrible thing of stench, decay, and rot, that haunts these streets.

I know, because I have seen it, its cold red eyes glowing in the dark recesses of night, its slippery silhouette sliding through the shadows. That is not an allegory for something more comprehensible, it is the truth of this creature. It was born of darkness and slime and corruption. It is not a man, nor anything man could comprehend.

It takes people in the night. Pulls them into the storm drains, hoists them up into fire escapes and across forgotten roof tops. It pulls them into garbage cans and oil vats and digests them from their lives; erases them from their family, friends, jobs, responsibilities, and burdens.

It hides during the daylight hours but once night falls, it climbs from out of the mire and stalks the night.

There are ways to protect yourself. Do not tread upon sewer grates or storm drains. Remain vigilant. If a street light winks out as you walk below, run. If you smell garbage, or feces, or rot, where there should be none, run.

If you hear a squishing belch in the night, run and don't look back.

This creature can be anywhere, tucked into any of those darkest corners of night. Stay in the light. Better still, stay inside once the night has fallen. Your home is not a haven, but it is familiar territory to you. Should your sink start gurgling for no reason, do not check it. There will be nothing to see there except the darkness that will define your life from that day forth.

The creature is out there, I promise you, but I am working on a plan to get rid of it. I will track it, and when I find it in the right location, I will burn it to the ground.

I owe it to you, for you are one of the missing. I'm sorry I was too late, but I plan to avenge you my love.

Nobody believes my story. They think it is but the crazy ramblings of remorse, so it is down to me and me alone to end this.

I will wipe that greasy mound from this city once and for all, cleanse our city of it's stench in a baptism of fire.

I will do this for you, and all the other missing people. Not for the glory or rewards, but because if I don't end this, nobody will.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment