Monday, July 4, 2011

Story-A-Day #235: Strawberries





STRAWBERRIES

Hey, it's just me. I wanted to let you know I went to the berry farm today.

It's hard work I guess, but the effort is definitely worth it. Think about it, a few hours out in the sun and you end up with a dozen pints of delicious, juicy, fresh picked strawberries.

Have you ever picked or harvested your own food? Trust me, the effort expended in the process makes the fruits of your labour all the more appreciable.

I spent almost three hours out in the basking sun today, but I have six heaping baskets of golf ball sized strawberries as a result.

Tomorrow I'll make jam. That obviously goes without saying, but today I will truly enjoy the spoils of my harvest. I can already taste the strawberry shortcake: the crumbling biscuits, sugary berries, and fresh whipped cream are still a few hours away - but trust me: they are already melting in my mouth.

In the morning, fresh plucked berries on waffles followed by the mildly tedious process of separating the rest of the berries onto cookie sheets for freeze drying.

I remember the first year I went picking, I threw everything into bags and the bags into the freezer. It was a mess, a solid mass of berry. It was also an important lesson in freezing.

As much as I'm looking forward to the strawberry shortcake tonight, I am equally excited for the strawberry salsa I'll be serving with the fajitas. It's going to rock your world.

Anyway, enough rambling. I just wanted to give you a quick call to let you know you are in for a treat tonight.

I'll see you in a few hours. Give me a call when you get this!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment