Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Story-A-Day #158; Dream Scrubber





DREAM SCRUBBER

What is it you do for a living? Are you a writer, teacher, doctor, or astronaut? Maybe you are an archaeologist or marine biologist. Whatever you are, congratulations, and if you happen to be any of those enviable and noble professionals listed above - and many others as well, double congrats.

Me? I'm not so lucky. My job might be pretty rare, exotic even, but it is unenviable. In layman's terms, I am a sanitary engineer. The "exotic" aspect of my particular vocation is that I am a sanitary engineer of the cerebral.

I'm a dream scrubber.

I won't bore you with the how, but I will share a bit of the why.

Take astronauts. If every kid that ever grew up dreaming of going to space followed through on that whim, there would be no people left on earth. That's a grand example mind you - it's the umbrella explanation we use.

Allow me to boil it down though. If every person in a relationship that ever dreamed of being with someone else, real or fictitious, remembered that dream, guilt would be our prevalent emotion.

If every person that woke from a nightmare realized that nightmares do come true, no matter how surreal, and that their dream was actually part of their reality, we would all live in terror.

It is my job to go on and scrub the mind clean of these dreams. In essence, despite my lowly title, I act as the ultimate upper management.

Some dreams I let through as reminders of our potential for both greatness, and the despicable. Most I wipe clean.

It's a job that is not without its perks. Everything I wipe, I also get to keep. I am a repository for horrors and inspiration that is almost immeasurable.

Still, for every good deed I do, every I'll thought I wipe clean, there is an equal amount of hope and promise that I crush.

When it comes my time to sleep, that is a big burden to carry into slumber, and unlike you, there is no one to scrub me clean by the morning. My dreams overflow with stolen promises, inspirations, horrors, and deceits, and when I awake, I set out once more to collect.

As my pile of dreams grows, so to does the burden it buries me under. The burden of the Dream Scrubber.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment