Thursday, October 27, 2011

Story-A-Day #350: Full Moon


FULL MOON

I've waited too long.

It was such a nice day, especially for October, and I guess i thought I could make it last.  I thought I could drag this day out just a little longer, make this a day to remember for years to come.  It will be of course, just not for the reasons I would like.

You are my world.  I mean that.  I love every aspect of you with all of my being.  I wish that were enough.  As the sun slowly sinks into the rippling lake though, I realize that loving you is not enough.

It was a great day though.  We woke up next to each other, kissed, and made love.  Is there a better way to begin a day?

We eventually crawled out from the tangled nest of sheets and showered together.  I made you breakfast: bacon, eggs, french toast, and freshly squeezed orange juice.  You laughed as I picked the eggshells out of the french toast batter - because I have to do it every time.

We spent the afternoon wandering around town, stepping into shops and planning out future purchases that we would make.  It was a delightful morning and we followed it up with a delightful afternoon.

We went to a matinee at the old theatre and held hands in the dark while the old second run print flickered on the silver screen before us.  We had an early dinner after that and proclaimed our undying love for each other once again while we waited for the bill.  And then we wandered out into the dying afternoon and made our way to the beach where we dipped our toes into the cold autumnal waters.

It is always like this when we are together, a blissful passage of time and simple moments that feel like they are the most significant experiences one could have.

You look at me now, and proclaim your undying love once again, but this time I know it cannot be true.  I feel the itch at the back of my neck, the rising hackles of a dog.  I have waited to long, and unfortunately for you that means nothing good.

I am not like other men.  I can feel the full moon creeping up over the horizon, and when it does, I will not be a man at all.

I am sorry, my dear.  I did not mean for this to happen.  I love you with all of my of my being, but my being is fractured.  There is no way this could possibly end well.

I would tell you to run, to flee to safe place, but the full moon is almost upon us.  Unfortunately, we have run out of time...

No comments:

Post a Comment