Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Story-A-Day #334: Preparations


PREPARATIONS

It probably looks like I am a typical cat.  I certainly wouldn't blame you for thinking so.  Look at me, all curled up and cute in my little cardboard box.  I am a stereotype, granted, but my actions at the moment have been earned.

I need my rest now.  October is upon us and the nights are getting longer.  Once the sun goes down, I will remain vigilant.  I must do so in order to keep owner safe.  When the darkness comes creeping in and the foul winds of tonight's storm ripple through the trees, I will be hard at work.

This is a month of horror, and yet my owner remains completely unaware of the risk she faces.  They are out there in the night, devilish creatures who long for the souls of the humans who mock them  through ignorance.

They creep through the shadows, blending into the dark.  They are an unseen presence, that strange sensation of neck hairs standing on end.  They would strike at a moment's notice, just as sleep claims its stake, but they will not do so on my watch.

As night descends, I will make my exit.  I spend my nights prowling the yard ad seeking them out.  They have no names, for names are power, but what they do have is an aversion to my kind.  Three nights ago, I watched them slay a dog, a big, ferocious beast that fell like autumn leaves under their assault.

And yet, when I appeared, they stole away into the night, vanishing back into the embrace of shadows that fills this yard.  For now, I am a sleeping cat, but once darkness comes my claws and teeth will be the only thing keeping my owner alive.  She is lucky to be so ignorant to this threat.  She is lucky to have me looking out for her.

She is lucky that I am making these preparations, and that I have the cunning to enter the night and slay those who would harm her.  That is my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment