Sunday, October 23, 2011

Story-A-Day #346: Roadblock


ROADBLOCK

You don't know how lucky you are today.  Your lack of appreciation is a flaw in your species.  You have a tendency to live every day as though there will be another one that follows the one you are currently experiencing, and that the pattern of sleep-wake-sleep-wake will continue forever.

I find it charming.

You feel that you are invincible, that you will continue to live out your days in peaceful harmony.  That is what makes you weak.  That is what makes you the lesser beings that you are.  That is what makes you such easy prey for a being such as myself, and it is the base of my frustrations today.

I have had you in my mind for longer than I care to recall.  I have had you marked for such a special moment together, such a brilliant moment of retribution, and now it is all ruined because of your pagan rituals.  Your rituals that just so happen to predate my resurrection.

I once destroyed an entire civilization.  Atlantis.  You've heard of it?  That was me.  I wiped those scoffing imbeciles off the face of the planet because they strove too hard to become more than they were.

The ancient Druids caught on to my ways and instilled a sense of magic that could only exist within the right balance of white and black, good and evil.  Those brilliant bastards.

You can call me karma, but in your terms, I am merely the police.  With Atlantis, I witnessed an insurrection of intellect and prosperity that showed no bounds, and I snuffed it out in one simple cataclysm.   It was a bold move to be sure, and one that I have paid for ever since.  That one small reminder of who was in charge cost me more than I could ever imagine.

I was once the scourge of nations and now I am held at bay by your row of hollowed out gourds.

You can count yourself amongst the lucky tonight, but you should not rest easy.  My power will return, and when it does, I will seek out those who doubted me and I will snuff them out like a candle in a tornado.

Rest as ease tonight, but know that I am coming for you.  Enjoy your small victory...

No comments:

Post a Comment