Monday, October 3, 2011

Story-A-Day #326: Sun Shower


SUN SHOWER

It was unseasonably warm for October.  The temperature was in the mid to high-twenties.  It was refreshing compared to past years when there would be frost on a daily basis and the trees would already be barren.

It was no surprise either though.  The weather had been growing odder for the past few years, with no signs of letting up.  This year was no different.  The days would often fluctuate from full bore sunshine, to tempestuous downpours, and back again within a half hour.

This day was different though.  There was no a cloud in sight, yet I watched as the sky grew ever darker, casting a shadow of gloom across my backyard.  I craned my head back and scanned the skies, but there was no cause for the sudden shift in lighting.

The sun filtered down through the ruby red leaves of an outstretched maple and as I stared upward, the first drop of rain pinged off my forehead.  I had watched it descend from nowhere, a silvery flicker illuminated in the soft glow of the mid afternoon sun.

It escalated from there, more and more drops filling my upward facing view, and yet still, there no sign of the clouds that would normally spill forth such a deluge.

I wiped a hand across my brow, hoping to make sense of the situation, and just as quickly as it had started, it stopped.

The grass around me glistened in the sunlight, and fat globules fell to earth from the nearby clothesline.

It had just been a sun shower, albeit one without clouds.  I would look into the phenomenon later, but for now I was quite content standing in the yard while the fallen rain evaporated like steam from my soggy shirt.  Some moments are only meant to be fleeting.  Some moments are not meant to be explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment