Saturday, December 24, 2011

Story-A-Day #408: Eve Of Distraction


EVE OF DISTRACTION

I pull my toque down over my ears and forehead, and life my collar.  It is a gusty night, strong winds and blowing snow.  I hate how dark it gets so early in the day at this time of year, and how fierce the weather can be, but I have places to be.

My family is waiting for me, no doubt sipping on cider and sitting around the living room talking about the year gone by.  Christmas Eve is always a good time to reminisce about the year's successes and triumphs and I am fortunate to come from a family that is blessed by both.  We are hard working by nature, kind and compassionate.  We are graced by the company we give each other.

I will be with them soon enough, but first I have a stop to make.  Not everyone is as fortunate as I am, as my family and friends are, and I am on my way to ensure that some of the less fortunate people in this community have something fond to remember from their Christmas Eve.

I don't do it to feel good about myself, but I am not selfless either.  I do this each year because I know many of the people that I will be serving at the soup kitchen.  We are not friends, or family, or past lovers.  What we are is members of this community.  I have seen them wandering the same streets I do.  I have seen them ignored by those they pass as though they were ghosts.

I have paused to speak with them, to say hello, and offer a bit of change for a cup of coffee.  I am also cynical, so there are some who I will actually buy a coffee for, instead of just offering the change.  I know what they would do with it otherwise, and while I would not judge them for their crutches, I would not necessarily want to support them either.

I will spend some time with these forgotten souls, then I will join my family and we will talk about our year.  We will eat a great meal, and have some drinks, then we will fall into a peaceful sleep in our comfortable beds and wait for Christmas morning.

What will you be doing tonight?  What will your distraction be?

No comments:

Post a Comment