Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Story-A-Day #397: Shovels





SHOVELS

It takes three different kinds of shovel to get this driveway cleared. My last driveway only required one, but this one needs three.

Part of it is the make up. There is the length of the driveway itself obviously, a long stretch that is half paved, half dirt. That's an issue in and of itself. There is also the fact that the driveway is essentially framed on both flanks, the house on the south side, and a fence along the north.

It's a tricky task, but I mostly have it down to a science now. Start with the scoop. Push everything as far back into the yard as it will go. After multiple passes, I move onto the plow. It is better for finessing the stray ridges left behind and hoisting the stuff at the road end up onto the mountainous banks. It is also better for the stoop and steps.

Lastly, I use the spade to toss away and raining bits that might have fallen by the way side. It is what I consider my close quarters shovel.

It can be a tricky process for sure. Especially on days where close to half a foot falls overnight. On those days, I prefer to resort to plan b.

Plan b is quite brilliant in its simplicity: I sit, and I wait. Eventually, a nice man with a grey beard and a red toque shows up with his snow blower and makes the mess disappear. I thank him for that...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone. Please excuse auto corrected errors!

No comments:

Post a Comment