Thursday, December 22, 2011

Story-A-Day #406: Faceoff



FACE OFF

It waits.  That's what it does.  Tick, after tock, after tick, after tock...

I can sense it waiting, and even though I can clearly see that there is no one in the control booth, I know that there is something not quite right with this situation.

I take a step forward and the bucket nudges upward.  I almost laugh, but manage to choke my outburst behind a pair of puckered, smiling lips.  I admit, it is a cocky grin...

I've been listening to the radio.  The reports have all been ominous, talking about how that machines have finally taken over.  It seems ridiculous, but the news reports all state that the machines have somehow become automated; even aware.   I won't deny it by any means, but I have never been afraid of machines.  Machines make our lives easier.  They facilitate our daily processes.

But in the time, in the moment, this machine is kind of pissing me off.

It is parked at the end of the driveway, blocking my exit.

I take a few steps forward, and to my surprise, the bucket rises, and follows my trajectory.  It seems hard to believe.  The possibility of a maximum overdrive situation makes no sense, and yet, the machine appears to be moving on its own.  And then there are the news reports as well...

I decide to make my move.  There appears to be a gap between the machine and the house so I dash toward it.  The bucket swings down and across to block my path and at the last moment, I dart to the left and vault over the fence.

I collapse into a quick roll and spring to my feet.  In the cabin of the backhoe, I see one of the kids from down the street.  He is laughing maniacally, and I exhale deeply.  I release the butt of the gun in the pouch of my hoodie and smile at the kid.  He almost took a bullet to the head.

Still, it doesn't explain the odd broadcasts on the radio.  I decide to proceed with caution.

The bucket of the backhoe suddenly swings towards the back of my head.  I dive quickly out of the way and realize that the kid is not in control of the machine, he is merely enjoying the ride.

I realize then, as the bucket crashes down towards me, that I have stepped into a world of trouble.  This is a face off I can not possibly win.

It is the time for me to make my move.  No more ticking clocks...

No comments:

Post a Comment