Sunday, May 22, 2011

Story-A-Day #192: Left Turns Only





LEFT TURNS ONLY

I've always enjoyed throwing a loop to drivers. I think it started with the games my parents would play with us on long car trips in the days before built in DVD players and travel board games: I Spy With My Little Eye, Punch Buggy No Punch Backs and more

Sometimes it was the simple creation of the illusion of warp speed when my father would flick on the high beams to illuminate the streaks of snow shooting past on the winter.

I am older now, but I have maintained that appreciation for fun, for a good distraction, even for a challenging puzzle.

One of my favorite games is Left Turns Only, or right if that is the direction to which you are inclined. There is a simple joy in watching your friend squirm behind the wheel as they try to figure out how to get to your destination using only left turns. It is especially entertaining when to the right is clearly where they need to turn to get you where you are going.

I remain insistent, and promise that there is a solution.

"I know there is; I turn right here, then left and left again into the driveway."

They sweat it out, mull it over, and finally bang there hands on the steering wheel as their frustration gets the best of them.

"It's simple," I assure them. "Don't picture the destination because it is lost in the big picture."

Sometimes you need to travel further to reach your simple goals.

When they eventually figure it out, it is almost too simple. Instead of taking that right, one block further leads to another intersection. A left there, followed by two more, and you're all the way around the block, and back where you started.

Except now you are headed in the right direction. Game over, destination reached.

It's a simple game, but it keeps things fresh.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment