Monday, May 2, 2011

Story-A-Day #172: Carrot Sticks


CARROT STICKS

“Food is too processed, too condensed and conveniencized,” she said. Everything comes in these pre-cut, pre-sliced, pre-chewed packages now.”

Her friend looked at her, a wry smile on her face.

“It’s true!” she exclaimed, eager to prove her point.

“I know it’s true.”

“Then what’s with the look?”

“Conveniencized?’

“Oh, whatever. You know what I mean.” They laughed. “I’m just saying that we are becoming criminally lazy as a society. Everything needs to be pre-packaged and portioned.”

“I know.”

She picked up a bag of mini carrots. “Look at these, what are these even? Do they take a normal carrot, cut it into bite size pieces, then sand the edges down to make them rounded?”

She clasped the bag firmly in her hand and stormed off along the produce aisle.

“You see,” she said pointing. “Those are carrots. They are slender and orange and have big droopy leaves hanging off the top of them.” She thrust the bag of mini carrots back at her friend. “So where exactly do these come from?”

“I would guess they come from the mama carrot?”

“Ha Ha.”

“Let’s just get the regular carrots then and go. Everyone is staring at us.”

“Fine. But we are getting the normal carrots, and we will cut our own carrot sticks.”

“That’s fine by me. Those mini ones are packed in bleach anyway.”

They stared at each other for another moment and both burst out laughing.

“I rest my case!”

No comments:

Post a Comment