Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Story-A-Day #180: Down There





DOWN THERE

There's something down there, gurgling in the depths. We thought it was a block in the line at first, but the pipes were fine.

It wasn't until tonight, when I was all alone, that I heard it - the gurgle first, followed by something deeper and more sinister. A deep sigh, entwined around a chortling laugh that rose up from the depths.

I was sure at first, that it was a trick of the mind, but there it was again.

That deep, dark laugh - full of fire and brimstone.

I walk back down into the basement and stand over the hole. The water pooled in the hole ripples lightly.

I put my hands and my knees an lean in closer. There is a hint of something in there, a subtle illusion of movement.

But it is no illusion. There it is again, a flickering lash, almost like a tongue lapping at moist hungry lips.

I retreat quickly towards the stairs. I suddenly wish that my wife was here, but she's working the graveyard shift at the hospital tonight.

I make my way to the living m and settle into the sofa. After a moment, I pull my feet up off the floor and tuck them under me.

A hiss. And that unholy laugh. This can't be real, an yet there is no denying it. There is something down there, in the depths of those pipes.

There is something down there and it is calling my name.

I can feel it, quivering beneath my house, beneath the city. It is waiting, patiently, but that patience won't last.

It will be hungry soon, and when it is hungry enough, it will come for me. That lapping tongue will lash around my neck, or leg, or waist and pull me in to the maw it crawled from.

This is not a place I want to be anymore, but I have nowhere else to go. This is my home, the place I should feel safe, but it is no longer a haven.

There is something down there and it is only a matter of time before it comes for me.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment