Thursday, December 23, 2010

Story-A-Day #42: Cold Comfort


COLD COMFORT

This weekend would be a good one for some quiet time in. I think that’s exactly what I will do; maybe paint my nails, microwave some popcorn, and put on a movie.

I’ve been meaning to catch up on my movies lately, but it’s not the best time of year for taking it easy. It seems like I have spent the entire last month shopping, stuffing, baking, wrapping, and getting ready for Christmas. Then there’s the cleaning; lots of that too, because you never know when someone is going to pop by for a little seasonal visit.

Don’t get me wrong. I love this time of year. Everything is buried in snow and the world is a peaceful wonderland. Later in the winter its all road salt and sand smears, but these early days are pristine.

Even though I am working longer days than usual, and that’s really saying something, I like the walk home. It’s been snowing consistently, albeit mostly lightly, for the past two weeks, so there is usually a drift of snow floating down. I’ve actually caught myself a couple times with my tongue sticking out, trying to catch a flake or two.

The days are long, but they are full of satisfaction. I’m tired, but content. I’ve been doing my shopping after work, and at lunch a couple times, and I am close to being done now - really close. You know how it is though, there’s always something else you forgot.

I’m daydreaming a bit now. I should be focussing on finishing things up here at the office. I want to make sure I hit the ground running in the new year. After a quick stop at the mall, I should be ready to go for the big day. I might even walk over today. It’s not that far.

When Boxing Day gets here, I will definitely remedy my popcorn shortage, kick my feet up, and catch up on some movies. I might even see if Mark is free over the holidays. It’s been a bit awkward since the Christmas Party and I don’t think he was out of line going in for that kiss, even though he seems to.

Yes, I’ll call Mark, smooth things over, and get rested up for the New Year. I have a feeling it’s going to be a good one.

But first, off I go out into the cold. There’s still so much I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment