Saturday, December 11, 2010

Story-A-Day #30: From Beneath



FROM BENEATH


There was no real explanation at first. People go missing all the time, that was the official word. The sad thing is that at first, the "official" word was enough. People had been going missing often enough, mostly young women, and we are conditioned to accept the official version of why. Hell, I was as complicit as anyone but when my beautiful Anabel-Lee went missing, I decided it was time to take action.

I have spent weeks combing the records, calling in favors from my friends on the force. I have been to the scenes of the crimes looking for missed clues, or possible oversights. There is nothing there though. The trace amounts of blood are long since scoured away by the elements and passage of time. A list of 86 names is all that remains of them.

Last week I had my first lucky break though. Last week my "luck" almost killed me. I saw someone get taken by the shadowy beast. I tracked it down. I was determined to end it all then, but I chickened out.

Not today though. Today I am ready and I am going to go into that dark, dank place and put an end to this once and for all.

I haven't slept in three days. Foolish perhaps, but I have had too much on my mind, too much planning. There is a bag by my feet and in it, my supplies.

I am ready now. I will use my bolt cutters to break the lock and I will enter the city beneath. The creature is in there, a rank, foul beast with beady red eyes. I will hunt it down to its lair and I will give it 86 different regrets about the day it first crawled out from beneath us.

The victims will be avenged and the only official word will be the silent thanks of an entire city.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment