Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Role Models, My Parents


MY ROLE MODELS, MY PARENTS

I wear a lot of hats:  I am a writer, a film maker, an educator, a photographer, a journalist, a bartender, and a few other things - most of them either by default, by choice, or by necessity.

With that list alone, I have multiple responsibilities, and sometimes it can be overwhelming.  I tend to work pretty long days, between the morning prep, the day job, and the late nights filled with whatever daily projects I have to tackle on any given day, I don't often get much time for leisure or sleep.

The other day, I had someone ask me how I do it - how I work such long days and still manage to function through the daily routines of life.  I paused for a moment, because I was not always this way, but then I responded with a very simple statement:  I do it because I want to do it.  I love what I do and every aspect of my life fills me with a great sense of accomplishment.

What I didn't tell that person, was that I have two people in my life who have always inspired, guided, motivated, and at times, shoved me towards being the person I am today:  My parents.

This past Sunday, August 26th, my parents celebrated their 40th anniversary.  That alone is inspiring, but for me as their son, watching them interact with the friends and family throughout the day was an incredible experience.

A few of the guests who made the trip to celebrate 40 years.

My parents share the same bonds with their friends that I share with my own.  At their anniversary brunch on the weekend, there was a palpable sense of mutual respect, and at times reverence in the air.  There was a great deal of camaraderie and self-deprecation.  There were also a pile of cheesy jokes...

It was exactly how my own moments with my friends often are, and it reminded me of my roots.

I am the person I am today because of Janet and John, the two people who brought me into this world, and nurtured me in the right direction.  That being said, they are not just inspirations to me; they are inspirations to pretty much everyone who has ever crossed their paths.  I assure you, it is all earned respect.  My parents have always been very kind, generous, and caring people who have reached out to their family, friends, and community.

My parents are the kind of people that I aspire to be.  They radiate a love for life and experience.  They relish the experience of travel; the adventure of literature; and the peace, and comfort, that comes from time spent with those who matter most to them.  On Sunday, they were able to spend the day with the friends and family that they love so much.  It was a beautiful thing.

Mum and Jasmine sharing a moment of relaxation.

You want to know why I do the things I do?  You want to know why I work such long days, and commit so much to every moment?  It is because of two fine people:  My role models, my parents.

I probably wouldn't be a writer today if I hadn't developed an appreciation for stories, reading, and writing before I even started school.  I might be better off, but I might also not be as passionate about what I do as I am today.  It has taken me a long time to get to where I am today, but I would never have made it this far without the support of my parents.

If you have not yet had the chance to meet my parents, I urge you to seek them out.  Your life will be richer for having done so.  I am who I am today because my parents have provided me with the support and love to grow, ever so slowly, into who I am today.

All of my successes can be attributed to the guidance of two immaculate people who by never giving up on me, who have never accepted failure as an option for their son.  It has been a long journey to get to where I am today, and I am lucky to have had such wonderful people guiding my way.

I love you mum and dad, and thanks again for all that you have given, and continue to give, not just to me, but to everyone who has been lucky enough to make your acquaintance.  You are a true inspiration...

And again, Happy 40th Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment