Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Story-A-Day #230: Patio





PATIO

I took a big gulp from the spicy Caesar and thanked the waitress. She smiled politely and disappeared back into the pub with a swirl of her skirt.

The sun shine down brightly, basking me in the warm glow of a perfect summer day and I couldn't think of a place I would rather be.

I light a Romeo Y Julieta cigarillo and exhale a deep blew cloud of smoke. It singed a track along my throat and into my lungs, then back out into the world. It has been a while since I smoked, an I realize how much I have missed the routine.

A wasp hovers momentarily by the salted rim of my glass then disappears off into the distance.

I hear a thwap and realize that my wallet has slid from my pants and hit the interlocking bricks of the patio.

I reach under the glass topped table to reclaim it and discover the strange thing down there: a beautiful, bright purple blossom sprouting up through the cracks. It's not your standard dandelion, more suited to a well manicured garden.

I admire it for a few moments then return to the world above. I've always been a firm believer in noticing the smaller details, and today has reaffirmed that belief.

There are wonder hidden in the weirdest of places.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment