Thursday, June 9, 2011

Story-A-Day #210: Sprites





SPRITES

There was something different in the backyard every day, sometimes a minor change, sometimes something bigger. It was easy enough to blame the little things on neighborhood cats, or maybe raccoons; a toppled garbage can one day, an unearthed plant another.

The bigger things were harder to attribute. When the barbecue wound up at the far end of the yard or the patio furniture was neatly stacked in the morning, it was a little Harder to explain.

Kids would have just knocked them over, not stacked them neatly or moved them around.

It wasn't until a week or so ago, that I finally figured it out, and even then it was mostly by accident.

I had woken up early, after a fitfully night's sleep and wandered into the kitchen. At first I thought I was imagining it, the blue, red, and green lights flickering around the backyard.

It wasn't until I looked closer that I could see the tiny winged figures. They hovered around the garden and the flowers bloomed to life, more beautiful than they had any right to be.

That explained my horticultural success this year.

I watched the figures hover and flit around, then shoot off into the wary morning light. Fairies, pixies, Sprites.

Whatever they were, they were welcome, is sometimes mischievous guests. I get up early most days now, and sometimes I leave them treats. It seems like a fee coins here, or some sugary treats there, is a fair trade off for a bit of magic in my life.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment