Friday, June 24, 2011

Story-A-Day #225: Refuge



REFUGE

My life used to be simpler, unburdened by materials needs. My mother left me before my first year was through. She had provided for me while she could, fresh worms and grubs from her mouth to mine, and the spread of her wing above when the rains fell.

Then one day, with a song and a wink, she took to the skies never to return.

I did not mind those early days, living out under the elements as I did. The sun's rays were warm on my plumage, the rain's drops soothing and cool. Those were good days, just and pure.

There came a time eventually when my nest grew too small. The craftsmanship that my mother had put into it, the sturdy weave of twigs and mud, was slowly coming undone.

When the weather turned cooler, I set out to find refuge, a warmer place in the sun.

What I found instead was this place in this tree, a shelter from the elements.

I nest here now, safe from harm and concealed from predators. I never imagined it possible, but I have found a home, a place to call my own. In the coming months I will fin a mate and she will join me here, under my roof and protected from all.

We will be happy here in this refuge, and when we are so inclined, we will enter into and be braced by the sun and the rains.

This is my life now, and it is a good one. I wish that my mother could be here as well. She was good to me, and I would like to thank her for all that she did for me.

Perhaps one day. For now, I will take to the skies. It is a glorious day, one that she be enjoyed with relish.

I spread my wings and leap towards the heavens. I will return shortly to this refuge, bit for now, I will soar high above.

This is the way to spend a day, buffeted by the gentle summer breeze.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment