Monday, April 4, 2011

Story-A-Day #144: Chicken


CHICKEN

“It doesn’t look like much.”

“What did you expect, gargoyles and a cemetery?”

“I don’t know. I guess I just thought it would be a little more… Scary.”

“Trust me. It’s scary. I was here last weekend with Adam and Sam – we were going to find a way in and try to talk to the spirits with Adam’s Ouija board.”

“So?”

“So when we got to the window around back we heard these people moaning, and then this loud laughing!”

“Yeah, right.”

“I’m not lying. This place is haunted. My mom was telling me that that kid who went missing last week…”

“The one with the braces?”

“Yeah. She was walking her dog right around here when she disappeared.”

“No way. She lived practically at the other end of town. I saw her mom on the news. Why would she be walking her dog all the way up here?”

“Why do you think, dummy? Her MOM lives way down there, but her DAD lives about two streets over. Adam’s sister told him so.”

“So what are we supposed to do about it? We’re just a couple of kids.”

“I think we need to go in there. If we could get in and take a quick look around, we could probably find some clues.”

“’Cause I’m sure the police didn’t already find them all.”

“They might not ’ve. Plus, that girl didn’t disappear until after all that other stuff happened. The police wouldn’t even ‘ve known to look here.”

“And how are we supposed to get in there? There’s boards on all the windows.”

“We come back tonight with supplies. A hammer, some flashlights – maybe a bit of rope.”

“And then what?”

“Then we go in and rescue that girl.”

“What if she’s not in there? What if the ghosts took her?”

“Trust me, she’s going to be in there, and we’re going to be famous. They’ll probably even put us on the front page of the newspaper.”

“I don’t know…”

“Quit being such a chicken.”

“I’m not a chicken!”

“Good, then we come back tonight.”

“Fine. We’ll come back tonight.”

“This is going to be so awesome!”

The two kids took off up the road without a second glance at the dilapidated old house. If they had looked back, they might have changed their minds about coming back at night. They might have changed their minds about ever coming near the decrepit old house again…

No comments:

Post a Comment