Saturday, March 26, 2011

Story-A-Day #135: Wind In Teeth


WIND IN TEETH

It’s the same every year. The air goes cold and with the first flecks of snow, I am abandoned. Six lonely months of banishment, buried under cold piles of ice and snow.

Look at me, tossed against the side of a shed, no shelter from the elements. Jagged teeth of ice suspended from my brake lines. This is no way to treat freedom. That is what I am after all, freedom from the limitations of humanity, and the trappings of parental oversight.

I have taken him further than he ever dreamed possible. I have showed him thrilling new sites and taught him the thrills of the wind blasting through his hair. Every year we reach further out, explore vaster territories, and learn new tricks and stunts. Right up until the winter, when the ice and snow provides a whole different set of thrills.

I know I sound bitter, and it’s probably because I ma to an extent, but how could I not be? I’ve been abandoned again, for the better part of half a year.

I wasn’t built to lean. I was built to race. I long to feel the wind in my teeth, to gather speed until they blur into a uniform disc then create the illusion that my tires are spinning in reverse. I long to feel the ground dropping away beneath me, and then rushing back to meet me in a solid connection.

I long to race through creeks and send the water parting in twin fans. I long for the mud in my reads and the soft crackle of dried autumn leaves below.

Mostly, I long for attention.

I long for some relief in knowing that this isn’t the end of my adventures.

He’s getting bigger, much bigger than he was at the start of the winter, and I know there’s a chance that he might have outgrown me.

There’s a chance that he might leave me behind and that I will never feel the wind in my teeth again. The thought is almost too much to accept.

Childhood should never end...

No comments:

Post a Comment