Friday, January 29, 2010

I Thought So (Just An Idea)

I have too many ideas. I am actually pretty sure that I forget more ideas than I actually follow up on. I'm not complaining, I just need to start being more focused. Yesterday for example, I had an idea and I jotted it down here thinking it would be a good way to remind myself that every now and then I get these ideas and should try to follow up on them. The idea itself was very simple, almost to the point of not really being an idea, but today, when someone asked me about it, the whole story just fell together. Little soldier-pieces of plot jumped to attention and the end result was a coherent narrative that marched right over my half-thought, which had originally begun as little more than an idea.

I wasn't sure at first whether I should take this photo, or write about it.

Foggy days often make me want to write something creepy. It's easy to let your mind get lost, right along with your other senses, on a nice foggy day. Having ideas fall into place like they did today is a great feeling, especially when there weren't really any solid ideas to begin with. That often ends up being the best kind of story though, one that surprises you as you write it. Definitely a satisfying feeling. I'd better go fill in some details to this new story before it slips away again.

No comments:

Post a Comment