Friday, May 28, 2010

Catching UP

So, I've been pretty much way behind on my movie watching lately. I managed to see Iron Man 2 in the theatre and was pleased with the result, but that was my first cinema experience since probably way back when I went to see The Hurt Locker at the North Bay Film Club. I've caught a few movies at home, but it seemed like there was a long list of films out there that I have been dying to see and for whatever reason, never quite able to get around to.

Last night for example, I finally watched Up and while it was long overdue, it was also definitely worth the wait. There is something about Pixar films that puts them a step above just about everything else out there. It is a rare occassion that I will find myself smiling through an entire movie, but last night, aside from the few times I actually cried instead, I found myself doing just that. The world is a better place for having Pixar in it.

I also caught Sherlock Holmes the other day, part of my unofficial catching up with Robert Downey Junior month I guess. It was a fun movie as well and I was most impressed with the period detail that achieved with Victorian London. Back when Pat and I were first working on The Gloaming, he wanted some reference ideas for his portrayal of Bristol. I provided him with some photos I had taken, but Bristol today is different than the Bristol of our story where they were just setting out to build the Clifton Suspension Bridge. I wound up lending him From Hell, and wile it did the trick, there is definitely a more fitting detail in Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps this is a sign that we should get started on the second volume of The Gloaming?

I can't recommend Up enough and I am happy to be easing myself back into film spectatorship as well as production. It sort of goes without saying that you can't have one without the other. Anyway, I've got a few others on the docket for the next few days and am particularly looking forward to Sin Nombre. I'll let you know how it goes.

And as always, check back soon for more news. I think something might be going down tomorrow. I just have to check with my partner in crime. It seems like a good idea though, although it always does seem like a good idea! See you soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment